2.12.2009

Splits with the sisters

I signed up to go on splits with the sister missionaries last night. For the longest time I have wanted to go but trying to find a time that would work has been near impossible. When the sign-up sheet was passed around i went ahead and put my name down and told myself I would just make it work. Of course the day I sign up to go with them it seems like every class has a deadline set for that day too. To top it all off I started Physical Therapy this week for my foot and had an appointment that morning as well.

So the time finally came and bless their hearts, the sister that gave me an address and then was giving me directions as well - lets just say the two didn't match up. It was frustrating me because Utah has got to be the easiest place to give directions. I would tell you the name of the sister that came with me but there is no way I can remember it.

We had a teaching appointment at 8:00 but had to find something to fill our time with until then. She had a couple of addresses for us to stop by. The first was a non-member family who wasn't interested. The second was a less active family. While the sister was trying to ask for referrals I thought why not teach the less-active, he had mentioned they had a daughter who was eight and wanted to be baptized. So I just spoke up and asked if the sisters could come back on Monday and give a family home evening lesson. He said that would be great and hopefully that way they will be able to teach the whole family not just the daughter. Then we stopped by another house and made an appointment for the sisters to come back and teach the kids.

At the 8:00 appointment we were teaching an eight year old girl who wants to be baptized. There was another gentlemen there, I believe he was the ward mission leader. One thing I know is that there is a huge difference between teaching an adult and a child but either way, you still need to interact with them. The sister was trying to fly through the lesson so the Brother and I would through in questions to make sure that everything was understood. Because I'm not shy when it comes to things like this I would pipe up every once-in-awhile too. The sister was great at teaching the principles of the gospel but when she asked the girl about past lessons the girl didn't remember. From all our time in the primary and teaching children on my mission I have learned that they need to have something that grabs their attention, so I would always put something in there that would hopefully help the lesson stick in her mind. For instance - The Plan of Happiness - we call it that but what makes it so happy?

To say the least it was a really fun evening and I might go out with them again on Monday to the Family Home Evening appointment. When I first got home from my mission I was a ward missionary and had so much fun doing it. There were people in the ward that my companion said she had been trying to visit with for the longest time, when I got there we were finally able to get in. Most everyone else already knew her and had a great relationship with her already. So our plan was that she knew them all and then I would teach. It was a great calling. I don't know why it has taken me so long to go out on splits but I really enjoyed it and can't wait to go again.

0 Thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails