4.19.2009

WHAT A SMALL WORLD

Since Paul and I have been up in Logan we have had a pleasure of meeting some of his distant cousins. They have all been random events like the time a counselor in the Bishopric introduced himself to us. He was introducing himself as Brother Yeates but Paul misunderstood him and thought he was calling Paul Brother Yeates. He had the most astonished look on his face wondering how the member from the Bishopric knew who we were when that was our first Sunday there, I could not help but laugh. I told Paul that Brother Yeates was introducing himself not calling him by name. Another cousin was playing Tiny Tim in the Christmas Carol and after visiting for a bit they found out that they were related. From really random events like this Paul has found a lot of family that he had never known before.

I don't use all the tools of facebook but it is great to get on and she what others are up to, get in touch with old friends and to invite people to events. I noticed the other day that a friend wrote a little note about her grandpa who passed away a year ago, his name is Richard Ellis. Just off the bat that does not seem like it should mean a whole lot to a random High School friend. Well, it does. Paul's first name is Richard and this is a family name that has been passed down for many generation. The longest running elementary school in Utah is in Logan named after the man, Richard Ellis, who started it. Paul's great-great-grandfather's name (I believe it's two greats, I don't have his chart in front of me) is Richard Ellis and is the same guy who name is on this school.


Ellis Elementary School

An aunt of my friend confirmed that her grandpa Richard Ellis goes back to the same Richard Ellis who started the elementary school in Logan.Unfortunately she lives in Oregon so I don't know if I will have the opportunity to meet her but she did say that she would send me family stories. As soon as I get them I will put them up here so that everyone in the family can have them and others can enjoy reading.

Signature_Small

5 Thoughts:

Michael and Laura Elggren said...

You know, Michael has met a lot of his cousins that same way! And, funny thing, my Mother-in-law's maiden name is Ellis.

Yea said...

You should ask her if she's related to Richard Ellis from Logan. Let me know.

Michael and Laura Elggren said...

I will when I see her next. Her name is Jane Ellis Elggren. We could be related! :)

Joyce said...

Hi Mindy it's Joyce, I just just need to insert a correction to your information. The founder and ancestor that you are refering to is James Ellis and not Richard. The name of Richard comes from Paul's G-Great grandfather Richard Yeates who married Annie Ellis a daughter of James Ellis.

Yea said...

Thanks Joyce, I knew I was going to get it wrong somewhere but I didn't have the binders with me to check all of my information. I knew Annie played a part in that somehow but could not remember all the facts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails