10.12.2008

Make A Joyful Noise

Joyful: : experiencing, causing, or showing joy
Noise:
1: loud, confused, or senseless shouting or outcry

When I was in Jr. High I had my music teacher tell me that I could not hold a note, then on my mission I had a companion tell me that she thought that everyone could sing until she met me. What a wonderful compliment. Do not worry, I'm not bitter, I'm just giving a little background as to why I've always been shy to really sing out loud and really get into the songs at church. Until I met the ward chore director in a singles ward I served in. She was willing to take the time to explain how to have a more powerful voice and her love for singing songs was contagious. I can honestly say she has changed my outlook on why we sing and my confidence in making a joyful noise to the Lord. Thanks Laura. Since then I haven't cared who I've been sitting next to, I just let it all out, and I try to go to the ward choirs where I live so I can learn pitches from others who do have wonderful singing voices and are willing to share.

Since August 24th, when I got sick, my voice was gone for most of that time and even when I got it back I would start coughing if I didn't keep my water with me at all times and keep the conversations to as short as possible. These last eight weeks I have just listened to the radio wishing I could belt it out in the car, where no one could hear, and I could sing as loud and off tune as I wanted to. Church has been the worst because I LOVE the church hymns and not being able to sing along has been killing me. Even when I would try to get two or three words out I would start coughing and have to excuse myself to get a drink. Well, Today I finally sang. The wonderful lady that saves us a seat every Sunday, Thanks Jenny, handed me a hymn book so I handed it to Paul. He opened it for us and before I knew it was singing along with everyone else. It was so wonderful.

My deep love of the church hymns comes from my mission; we had ones that we needed to memorize. It was great to always have a hymn and a scripture in mind to get through the day. Listening to nothing but hymns for 19 months will bring about a great appreciation to anyone, and being able to sing them and let that emotion go is a great way to show our love for our Savior.

5 Thoughts:

Michael and Laura Elggren said...

You're welcome Mindy :) I wasn't sure if I ever had helped anybody or opened a new outlook to anybody while I was in that calling. Sometimes I just felt like I was the ward nag..lol :) But, to this day, I still believe what I tried so hard to teach! Heavenly Father doesn't care whether you sing well or not, just so long as you sing praises to Him with all the love and gratitude that is in your heart. That is what matters the most :)

Jenny Erazo said...

Well, I would hardly call the noise I make a "joyful" one but maybe next week I will try singing! Your blog is cute and your hair is HOT!

Yea said...

Thanks. I just figured out how to create my own blog background and make it all fit. The reason I had to do that is because I made my columns wider so all those free backgrounds you can get weren't working cause they were made too skinny. If you want I can help you make one all your own.

Laura: do you have photoshop or a program like that? I'm putting all the instructions together so that you can make your own. Don't give up on me. ;)

Michael and Laura Elggren said...

Hi Mindy :) Yeah, we have photoshop/lightroom. Not a worry :) I could never give up on you dear :) Really, whenever you get the chance. It is not a rush :)

Michael and Laura Elggren said...

One more question, how did you put a playlist on your blog? I would love to do that! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails